I was just reading Psalms 83 a few times lately and I wonder if we
have a wrong interpretation of the "war" listed there. Actually there
is no actual war mentioned there.
Verse 4 says "Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation."
Thus you have the intent for war. THIS HAS NOW COME TO PASS!
Clearly, this has been their well documented intent for some time now.
Verse 5 talks about forming a confederacy against Israel. I believe
that this also can be seen as having been accomplished now as well.
Verses 6-7 talk about all the nations that are going to be joined
together against Israel. The stage again has been set for some time
and the rhetoric has increased lately to a fever pitch.
Verses 9-11 is a request for God to deal with them thus:
- Like you did with Midian (v9)
- Like you did with Sisera (v9)
- Like you did with Jabin at the Brook Kishon - who perished at En
Dor, who became as refuse on the earth (v9)
Verses 11-12 - is a request to God to:
- Make their nobles like Oreb and like Zeeb and Zebah and Zalmunna
WHO SAY: "Let us take for ourselves the pastures of God for a
possession." (v. 12)
There is no war mentioned here, again, just the intent for war and a
request for God to intervene. Of course this does not prove there is
no war, just the fact that there is no actual mention of war.
Verses 13 -18 are again requests for God to deal with them to:
- make them like the whirling dust
- like chaff before the wind
- like the fire that burns the woods and as the flame sets the
mountains on fire.
- PURSUE them with your tempest
- FRIGHTEN them with your storm
- FILL their faces with shame
- They may seek your name, O Lord.
- be CONFOUNDED and dismayed forever.
- yes, let them be PUT TO SHAME and perish
- they may know that You, whose name alone is the Lord, are the
Most High over all the earth.
I find it interesting that right now, the most descriptive word that
anyone can use about the middle east Islamic nations is that they are
Is this what is happening to them now? Is Psalms 83 being fulfilled
while we watch and do not realize it? If so, is the next step, the
acceptance of Jesus Christ? (v. 16, v. 18)
Time will tell!
In the meantime, don't forget while you are watching for tomorrow,
rejoice today for our redemption is here!