Torah Portion for week of Tammuz 7-14
Balak send for Balaam
Chariot of God
Today in History - 5 Tammuz
· Galus Yehoyochin occurred on this day, 7 years after Yehoyokim was taken into galus, 433 BCE. Yehoyochin, king of Yehuda, was taken to Bavel together with the leading talmidei chachamim of his time.
· Yechezkel ben Buzi Hakohen gave his prophecy by the Kvar River, 5 years after Galus Yehoyochin, mentioned in the beginning of Sefer Yechezkel, 428 BCE
· Massacre of the Jews of Wiener-Neustadt, Austria, 1298.
· Pope allows Jews accused by the Inquisition the right to know who their accusers were, 1299.
· Rav Yom Tov Lipmann Heller, the Tosfos Yom Tov, was imprisoned, 1629.
· Passing of Daniel Mendoza, a Sephardi Jew who was known as the “father of scientific boxing”, 1876. Billing himself as “Mendoza the Jew”, he became one of England’s greatest boxing champions and the first boxer to win the patronage of the Prince of Wales.
· Mass killings of Jews in Auschwitz began by the Nazis, 1942.
· A postwar pogrom in Kielce, Poland, left 42 people, mostly yidden, dead and 50 wounded, 1946. Army and security officers took part in the attack that was sparked by the false story spread by Walenty Blaszcyk that his son had been kidnapped by Jews. The event is considered Europe’s last pogrom.
· Mohammed Bouyeri, a Muslim extremist on trial in the slaying of Dutch film-maker Thei van Gogh, unexpectedly confessed in court, saying he was driven by religious conviction. He was sentenced to life in prison. 2005
It has been said, “Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Please learn from the history of this Hebrew month and pray. This is going to be a very challenging month world-wide. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem. Israel’s enemies acknowledge historical dates and plan attacks on those dates.
Tammuz is known as the ‘fourth month’ in the Bible according to the Biblical Calendar and is the tenth month on the civil calendar. The number 4 carries the meaning of learning, teaching, testing and trials. It also is the number of material completeness, a world number since on the 4th day material creation finished. It is the number of the great elements (earth, air, fire, water) regions of the earth (north, south, east, west) divisions of day (morning, noon, evening and midnight) seasons (summer, fall, winter, spring). The number 10 signifies the perfection of Divine order, beginning a new series of numbers. It also stands for completeness of order, marking the entire round of anything, whole cycle is complete. Putting those 2 numbers together we see that there will be a completeness of things that have been sown these past months and many people will be reaping things they do not want to reap. It is a good time to pray for a crop failure on all the negative words and deeds sown and to stand in the gap for our nation like never before.
Tammuz is the name of a Syrian god, but was also worshipped also by the Hebrews women with lamentations, in the fourth month of every year. Their idol worship was an abomination to God! It is a proper noun and means ‘sprout of life’, a Sumerian deity of food and vegetation. The only time the Bible records that name is found in Ezekiel 8:14 when God was showing Ezekiel all the abominations that were going on in the Temple, “So He brought me to the door of the north gate of the LORD’s house; and to my dismay, women were sitting there weeping for Tammuz.” Vs 17 tells of how they were smelling the branch. The cedar branch is used in the worship of this Syrian god and instead of the Hebrew women trusting God for life, they had turned to trusting a cedar to give them fertility and life, IN THE HOUSE OF
JESUS COMES IN THE CLOUDS WITH POWER AND GLORY
Lk 9:26-27-WHEN HE SHALL COME IN HIS OWN GLORY, AND IN HIS FATHER'S, AND OF THE HOLY ANGELS.
Lk 21:27-AND THEN SHALL THEY SEE THE SON OF MAN COMING IN A CLOUD WITH POWER AND GREAT GLORY.
Mk 13:26-AND THEN SHALL THEY SEE THE SON OF MAN COMING IN THE CLOUDS WITH GREAT POWER AND GLORY.
Mt 26:64-JESUS SAITH UNTO HIM, THOU HAST SAID: NEVERTHELESS I SAY UNTO YOU, HEREAFTER SHALL YE SEE THE SON OF MAN SITTING ON THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, AND COMING IN THE CLOUD OF HEAVEN.
Mk 14:62-AND JESUS SAID, I AM: AND YE SHALL SEE THE SON OF MAN SITTING ON THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, AND COMING IN THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN.
"Behold, I come quickly"
EZEKIEL 1: 1-9
The Living Creatures and the Glory of the Lord
1 In the thirtieth year, in the fourth month on the fifth day, while I was among the exiles by the Kebar River, the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.
2 On the fifth of the month—it was the fifth year of the exile of King Jehoiachin-
3 the word of the LORD came to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, by the Kebar River in the land of the Babylonians. There the hand of the LORD was upon him.
4 I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal,
5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was that of a man,
6 but each of them had four faces and four wings.
7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze.
8 Under their wings on their four sides they had the hands of a man. All four of them had faces and wings,
9 and their wings touched one another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.