Yesterday, I wrote about the following ten actions that we could take as part of our Christian walk. Today, I would like to take my own advice and provide Scriptural verses to justify the ten actions, as an exercise to make the imprinting of these actions more powerful in my mind. The verses follow immediately after each of the action descriptions.
If you also decide to do this exercise, I would love to see the verses you selected! (email@example.com)
TEN ACTIONS WE CAN DO
1) We must get our own relationship with God and His Son aligned to His will. We must confess our known and unknown sins (lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh and pride of life) and repent of our unfaithful behavior. We absolutely need to start with ourselves, rather than seeking someone or something else to blame for our troubles Our troubles are often our own fault because we have an inborn tendency to stray away from God's protective presence (called sinning), by not praying and reading the Word He has provided.
If you seek me with all your heart,
you will find me.
Delight in me and I will give you
the desires of your heart.
For it is I who gave you those desires.
I am able to do more for you
than you could possibly imagine.
2) We must completely surrender our free will to His will and present ourselves as instruments or agents for His will both in our own lives and in the lives of others. If we are in a good relationship with God, Remember, He can and does empower others to work for our benefit, often unknown to us at the time. However, if we are not in good standing with God, He cannot easily work through those that can affect the outcome of our life decisions.
Come home and I'll throw the biggest party
heaven has ever seen.
I have always been Father,
and will always be Father.
3) We must forgive all, as He forgives all knowing that they know not what they are doing when they try to live separate from His lovingkindness and care. We are all members of His eternal family, after we accept the sacrifice He provided in Jesus death and resurrection, and we need to love others as He loves us all even though at times we may fail to trust in Him completely, or to lean on His understanding instead of our own.
Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19
His death was the ultimate expression
of my love for you.
1 John 4:10
I gave up everything I loved
that I might gain your love.
If you receive the gift of my son Jesus,
you receive me.
1 John 2:23
And nothing will ever separate you
from my love again.
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
And forgive us our debts,
as we forgive our debtors,
4) Again, we must let Him have His way in our life, let go of the steering wheel so to speak, so that He can work unhindered by our ignorant meddling in what He does best and truly enjoys doing for us. Usually He knows and can bring about better results than we can even imagine from our limited viewpoint Trapped in a three-dimensional world of sense, we cannot see the ends that are associated with actions and thoughts that seem trivial and inconsequential to us, but are not so in the reality of higher dimensional understanding.
In me you live and move and have your being.
For you are my offspring.
5) We must rest in the comfort of His grace, which is sufficient for our every need. He is ever present with unlimited resources to do what is needed, even to perform miracles, to see that His ways are fulfilled and that we come at last to enjoy the peace and happiness He meant for us since the beginning. We must know completely that He wants what will bring us joy, peace and complete wellness while we are here on earth in this mortal body. He needs to have our trust at all times.
And it is my desire to lavish my love on you.
1 John 3:1
Simply because you are my child
and I am your Father.
1 John 3:1
6) We must use our opportunities to help others with needs while we wait for our needs to be tended to. We should of course ask for His guidance so that our meddling arrogance does not overflow into the lives of others and create more stumbling blocks for God to remove.
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily,
as to the Lord, and not unto men;
knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive
the reward of the inheritance:
for ye serve the Lord Christ.
7) We must never fear that He will not do what He promised for His children who pray in the name of His dearest Son, Jesus. He wants above everything else that we return to His loving arms where we belong.
I will never stop doing good to you.
For you are my treasured possession.
I am also the Father who comforts you
in all your troubles.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
When you are brokenhearted,
I am close to you.
8) We must display our faith by the actions and words we use in our relationships with persons on this side of heaven, so that unbelievers will be motivated to search out the basis of our spiritual strength and eventually turn in trust to Jesus for salvation.
As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves
according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
but as he which hath called you is holy,
so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
1 Peter 1:14-15
9) We must actively maintain our relationship with God by stopping every evil thought coming seemingly out of nowhere from the fallen ones who desire our destruction. We need to cast out such thoughts, in Jesus name, that are not perfectly aligned with the love and forgiveness of God, as demonstrated by Jesus. Our strength for overcoming is promised, but we must appropriate it actively to obtain the power it contains for us.
Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Put on the whole armour of God,
That ye may be able to stand
Against the wiles of the devil.
10) We must seek His perfect peace by staying our mind as much as possible each day on His love and awesome power. He will forgive and save to the uttermost everyone that trusts in His ever-present and capable efforts. He will assist us believers, the apple of His eye and His dearly beloved creation, until we are finally back to where we were created to reside for eternity--by His side and in the radiance of His Son Jesus Christ our redeemer.
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on thee: because
He trusteth in thee.